When Pope Benedict XVI addressed group of US Bishops and praise them for the ‘long-commitment of the immigration reform’.
Immigration reform is a term used to describe the suggestion involved in increase in legal immigration and decrease illegal ways. It is also can be termed as change in the current immigration policy.
“The Catholic community in the United States continues, with great generosity, to welcome waves of new immigrants, to provide them with pastoral care and charitable assistance, and to support ways of regularizing their situation, especially with regard to the unification of families,” the Pope stated.
“This is clearly a difficult and complex issue from the civil and political, as well as the social and economic, but above all from the human point of view. It is thus of profound concern to the church, since it involves ensuring the just treatment and the defense of the human dignity of immigrants,” Benedict said.
In the year 1986, Immigration Reform and Control Act, this stopped hiring or recruiting illegal immigrants.
In 2009, under Barak Obama’s administration immigration reform plan includes 6 sections:
- to fix border enforcement
- “interior enforcement,” such as preventing visa overstays
- preventing people from working without a work permit
- creating a committee to adapt the number of visas available to changing economic times
- an ‘amnesty’ type of program to legalize undocumented immigrants, and
- programs to help immigrants adjust to life in the United States