Most of the people who have settled and are US citizens love to bring their family members who live in other countries to the US .It is not as easy as it sounds and is a very complex process. Green card is the residence or the work permit for an individual who lives in the US legally. Family based green card is green card for a persons who are relatives of the US citizens or green card holders . In other words, the US citizen or permanent resident can sponsor his/her relative who lives outside the US to get a green card.
Family immigration, as the name suggests, is immigration of the family of the US citizen or lawful permanent residents to the US. Family immigration allows immigration based on the person’s relationship to a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident and this is an important aspect when sponsoring a family member. The reason being, the US citizens can sponsor parents, spouse, siblings and children whereas a green card holder can only sponsor his/her spouse and children who are unmarried and under the age of 21 years. So if you wish to bring your whole family and enjoy the time together with your family folks, then being a US citizen will make it possible.
Family immigration visa categories are of two types:
Immediate relatives: This includes the immediate close relatives spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21 of the US citizen and parents, provided the US citizen sponsoring is at least 21 years of age.
Family preference relatives: This includes four preference categories – the spouse, minor children, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents, married children of US citizens and their spouse and siblings of the US citizen.
Requirements for family based immigration:
In family based immigration, one can sponsor a relative to immigrate to the US, but there are certain requirements one has to meet to sponsor them like:
- Individual who is sponsoring them should be a US citizens or a lawful permanent resident
- Willingness to file I 130, Petition for Alien relative for the relative whom you would like to sponsor
- Evidence on the funds to support the family that is having income level at 125% of the federal poverty level
Benefits of family based green card:
- Have the right to work anywhere in US
- Can sponsor your relatives
- Do not require Employment authorization to work
- Can become US citizen once the residence requirements are met.
Family based green card can be applied through a two step process:
- The US citizen or legal permanent resident should submit form I-130 to petition for the Alien relative with a proof of relationship
- Once the green card petition is approved by the USCIS, if you are already present in the US, you can adjust to permanent resident status from your non-immigrant status .
Therefore considering all the advantages of possessing a green card, and obtaining green card through a family member, you not only become a legal permanent resident, but later can apply for citizenship and thereby speed up the process of getting green cards for the rest of the family.