Visas are mere entry documents and are usually issued for various categories. Basically without migrating to the US, it is buying an entry to the US. E2 visa is an Investor visa and is considered as a non immigrant visa which allows one to live and work in the US based on the investment. This in turn will help one to contribute to the economy of the US.
Qualifications for an E 2 visa:
Each visa category requires certain qualifications to be met. The qualifications required for E2 visa are as follows:
You have to be a national of a treaty country which means the country maintains the commerce and navigation with the United States for the E2 visa purposes.
- Your investment must be sufficient enough to operate the enterprise though it is on the higher side or low side.
- Your investment should be a true operating enterprise rather than passive investment which does not qualify.
- Your investment should have the capacity to generate more income and have a substantial impact in the US.
- You should have a control of funds and should bear the risk of investment.
The E 2 treaty visas generally allow bilateral agreement with the foreign nationals and the US with a substantial amount invested by the foreign nationals which will help in the development of the enterprise. The E2 visa is beneficial in many ways like:
- You can work in the US legally.
- With a valid E 2 Visa you can travel freely in and out of the US.
- By maintaining a valid E 2 visa you can stay for a long time with unlimited two year extensions.
- You can bring your spouse and children who are your dependents to stay with you in the US.
- Your spouse can apply for work by filing for an Employment Authorization Document.
The individuals having the E2 visas can also do the following:
- Substantial investment on an already existing US enterprise.
- Directing and developing the enterprise in which they have invested.
- Direct and develop investments from the treaty country.
Regardless of the nationality, the spouse and the unmarried children who are below the age of 21, will receive derivative E2 visas to accompany the principal alien. The E2 visas are generally applied at the US Consulate or the Embassy having the jurisdiction over the place of the permanent residence. Generally an interview is conducted by the embassy as a part of the application process. Individuals who are less than 13 years of age and more than 80 years of age are not required to take the interview. The E 2 visa application process varies from place to place. Before submitting the application the requirements should be reviewed.
Generally the treaty visas are issued for four to five years. These visas can be extended for an unlimited number of times depending on the investments and will be reissued for an additional five years if required. The E 2 visa treaty visa will not allow you to permanently stay in the US.