Naturalization Interview and Oath Ceremony

As part of the Naturalization process, it is mandatory that all applicants attend an interview.  If you cannot attend the interview on the scheduled date, you can write to the USCIS office where your interview is to be held at the earliest and request to re- schedule your interview.

Though you are allowed to re-schedule the interview, remember that it will further lengthen the naturalization process, leading to an unnecessary delay in getting your certificate.  So in your best interests, try not to change the original interview date.  But if you don’t attend the interview and fail to inform the USCIS, they will “administratively close” your case.  Another fact is that if you do not contact them to schedule a new interview within one year after they close your case, they will reject your citizenship application.

Make sure USCIS has your most current address; else you may not receive any notification from them.  If you do not keep them informed, they will not able to notify you about the date and time of your naturalization interview or about additional supporting documents you have to send or bring for the interview.

If you move to a another address after filing your application, it is mandatory that you call the USCIS at their toll free telephone number 1-800-375-5283 to bring to their notice about the change in your address on your pending application.  You are required to inform the USCIS of the new address each and every time you shift to a new place.  Calling the customer service alone will not suffice.  You should file Form AR-11, “Alien’s Change of Address Card”.  It is important to note that you should file this Form within ten days after having moved and you need not pay and fee while filing this form.   Another aspect is to keep the U.S. Postal Service aware of your new address so any mail to you can be forwarded to your new address.

You will reach the highest immigration status in the US by becoming an US citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the US in a naturalization ceremony.  You can either take the Oath the same day as your interview or have the ceremony at a later date.  The USCIS will notify you of the ceremony date through Form N445, “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony”.  If you cannot attend the oath ceremony as scheduled, you should return the Form N-445 to the local USCIS office.  Attach a letter stating why you cannot attend the ceremony.  Make copies of the notice and your letter before you mail it to USCIS.  Once the USCIS receive your letter, they will reschedule the date and send you a new Form N-445 that will have the re-scheduled date.

The hard truth is that not all applications will be approved.  If your request is rejected and you feel that USCIS was wrong in rejecting your case, you can request a hearing with an immigration officer.  USCIS will send a letter that will have the details as how to request a hearing and will also have the form you need. Form N-336, Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings under Section 336 of the INA” is used to file an appeal.  You should file this form, along with the appropriate fee to USCIS within 30 days of having received the denial letter.

This entry was posted in US Citizenship and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Naturalization Interview and Oath Ceremony

  1. Pingback: ProBlog Link l Social BookMarking

  2. Kevin Kallis says:

    If your case is rejected because you did not pass the English or Civics test, you can re apply as soon as you think you have enough knowledge in English or Civics to pass the tests.

  3. You can re-apply two times

  4. Kevin Kallis says:

    While re-applying, should I pay the entire fees again?

  5. You have to pay the fees again

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s